Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I get a real estate license?
Arizona Real Estate Salesperson License Requirements
- Age – Be at least 18 years of age when applying for a license
- Education – Arizona is a non-reciprocal state. Complete 90 hours of Real Estate Salesperson pre-licensing education at an approved Arizona real estate school and pass the examination at an ADRE approved real estate school, college or university.
- Fingerprint Clearance Card – Fingerprint Clearance Card is issued by Arizona Department of Public Safety. The application packet of information may be obtained from DPS or the real estate schools. The process for obtaining the Fingerprint Clearance Card may take as long as eight – ten weeks.
- Disciplinary Actions Disclosure Form (LI-214/244) – Information and documentation relating to the applicant’s background must be provided upon application for licensure. Date of birth and Social Security Number are required. Criminal convictions and background disclosure on the Disciplinary Actions Disclosure Form (LI-214/244), found at www.azre.gov or in the Candidate Handbook, must be completed by all applicants, and depending on disclosures made, additional documents and information may be required. The Department CANNOT issue a license to a person convicted of a felony who is incarcerated, paroled or under community supervision or on probation. The Department may not issue a license to a person who has been convicted of a felony, or convicted of a misdemeanor offense, such as (but not limited to) theft, forgery, extortion, conspiracy to defraud, violence against another person, or crimes of moral turpitude. A Fingerprint Clearance Card issued by DPS is required by all applicants at time of application.
- Disclosure Document Checklist (LI-400) – When applying for an original license and disclosing a criminal conviction, adverse civil judgment, or denial of or discipline against a professional or occupational license on the Disclosure Document Checklist Form (LI-400), additional documents and information identified on must be provided. Forms are available on the ADRE website www.azre.gov, under Forms Library and included in the Candidate Handbook.
- Contract Writing Class – Prior to License Application attendance at a 6 hour Contract Writing Class, (including certificate) is required.
- Fees – Fees are listed on the License Fee Schedule at www.azre.gov. The Department accepts Visa, MasterCard, and American Express, Discover cards, checks or exact cash.
2. How do I take the pre-license course?
You can take the pre-license course at an approved school. When you successfully complete the course, you will be required to take a state exam. If you pass the state exam you will be issued a salespersons license. You must be affiliated with a broker who will actually hold your license.
3. How long is the course?
It can be approximately three to eight weeks depending on whether you take day or evening/weekend classes. It is a 90 hour course.
4. How do I choose a company?
It is important for you to choose a company that meets your expectations in terms of exceptional training, leading technology and marketing, professional office support, and top notch reputation in the marketplace. Contact Long Realty to schedule an appointment.
5. What will it cost me to get started?
There are several start-up costs when beginning your real estate career. Some fixed costs include: the pre-license course, the state exam & license fee. You may need to make an investment in technology tools such as a cell phone, computer, etc. New agents should always have at least 6 months of expenses in reserve. It can take a few months to get your business going.
6. How soon can I expect to generate income?
The exciting thing about a career in real estate is that you are limited only by your imagination. Some new agents are selling homes in the first couple of months while others may take a little longer to get their client base established.
7. What is required to be successful in real estate?
Dedication, hard work, and a great attitude! The most successful agents are also highly motivated and outgoing.
8. Is it important for me to be technologically savvy?
To be successful in today’s competitive marketplace, it is vital to utilize the technology tools available that will help you to be more productive and efficient. You don’t have to be a computer geek, but you do need to be willing to learn!
9. What type of equipment will I need to get started?
While interviewing with brokers, first determine what is available to you in the office environment. Also note that smartphones, tablets and laptop computers are all essential tools of leading agents today. Consider these items when planning your budget.
10. What can I expect to make in my first year? Second? Third?
A career in the real estate industry offers the benefits and advantages of running your own business. You decide how many hours you want to work and how much money you want to make and the best part is that your earning potential is unlimited! No one determines your salary or your raises other than you.